Sunday, April 04, 2010

2010 AWP Conference: the preparation

Later this week is the 2010 AWP Conference. I will be there. Come by the Third Coast Magazine table at bookfair if you really, really want to meet me. And if you do meet me, ask for my business card -- they're so cute!

Check out these tips for surviving the AWP Conference. (found via)

How to enjoy the AWP Denver by the Documenting AWP blog. The blog is previewing and highlighting panels. And, from my preliminary list of what panels I want to attend (find the full listing at awpwriter.org), I think I'm going to be attending a lot of panels with this guy. Hey, I made my list before I read yours, so --honestly-- not stalking you, dude.

If you're looking for thoughts on what it was like last year to help you get a feel for what you might be in for this time, there's my thoughts, and more of my thoughts, and the fact that everyone will get sick, and there's this blog of Emerson College grad students which gives a wide range of feelings and reactions from different students. Recap from One Story magazine (which probably appeals to New Yorkers more than other mere mortals).

I got the you-need-to-sign-up-for-the-shuttle-to/from-airport email from AWP which annoys me if only because I didn't have to do/plan for that in Chicago. The beautiful thing about Chicago is that taking the Blue Line from O'Hare to the Loop is uber-fast. For $2.25 you streak past eight lanes of cars that are creeping along the highway. You streak past all the grid streets and then drop underground. You get out and walk a few blocks to your hotel. No big.

I didn't fly in to the AWP last year; I took the train, which also deposits you just a few blocks west of the Loop. In my mind anything less than 15 blocks should not be cause for paying cab fare, so I walked. Then again I know my way around the Loop. Not having that sort of public transportation infrastructure bugs me when I visit. Oh well, I guess the world really doesn't revolve around me and my desires.

Highly Recommended