Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Grab-bag: TV, non-alcoholic wine, and a real fast talker

I've never gotten into American Idol.  Never have.  But I am in love with the new singing competition show The Voice.  I've been watching for the past six weeks when they did blind auditions and duet face-offs.  Love it.  Four established singers picked teams of eight and then the eight had to face off against their own teammates to whittle the teams down to four each.  Tonight they go to live shows where I have no idea what the format will be.  But I'll get all tripped up in the stories and the sining and we'll all watch Christina Aguilera's big eyes, Blake Sheldon narrowly miss putting his foot in his mouth in that brash country-boy way of his, Cee Lo's sly smile, and Adam Levine perk up and sort of jerk around like a gopher -- a gopher with the world's most amusing range of expressions.


Of course, I'm also enamored of Covert Affairs on USA -- season two starts tonight as well.  I'm a sucker for spy flicks.  It'll be a tough night for me as I have to decide between the two.

At the grocery store the other day, I saw that they had "alcohol removed" red wine for sale.  It's less two-thirds the calories of real wine, so I figured I'd try it.

Verdict: It tastes like unsweetened grape juice.  There's a slight hint of wine-ish-ness in the aftertaste.  So if you like sweet wines and can't stand the dry or oaky types, this might be right up your alley.  I just cut it with real wine.

And finally, the real fast talker makes some interesting points in a very entertaining way:

Highly Recommended