Monday, June 06, 2011

You're basically finished with your MFA -- how do you feel?

Shell-shocked.

That's pretty much sums it up.

It's been a crazy dash to the deadline -- a self-imposed deadline nonetheless -- and it doesn't seem like it's over. Perhaps because I finished the project, lined up a cat-sitter, and madly dashed out of town for a family graduation party four hours north. There was no great sigh of relief, no celebratory beverage (unless you count the coffee with my cat-sitter), and no happy dance in the end zone.

Although there was some bouncing on the balls of my feet but that's more nervous excitement, and the giddy feeling of turning in something that you think really should have gotten one more proof reading.

All and all, it just seems unreal.

My project committee has the next three weeks to peruse my collection of stories, send back their comments and decide if they're going to sign off on the project and therefore my degree. I've listened to my advisor, so I'm not terribly worried that they won't sign off on the project -- maybe if I was worried there would be more finality to the actual finishing.

As it is, I'm off to do some errands today and on to the next project.

Anyone else feel this way at the end of their degree?

8 comments:

margosita said...

Pretty much, yes. That's how I felt.

It'll hit you, later, of course.

CONGRATS!!!

Elizabeth Twist said...

Wow! I left an ebullient comment over at my blog when you mentioned you were basically done, but I'll leave another here: Congratulations!!! That is huge. So, no need for a defense or anything? Just a stamp-o-approval and done?

Wow.

Shell-shocked is a great way to describe it. Enjoy the accomplishment as much as you can, I'd say, and be very, very nice to yourself for the next long while.

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

@Elizabeth Twist - no, no defense. The PhDs in creative writing have to give a defense (and a fairly lengthy paper explaining where their project fits within contemporary American writing), but for a masters at this school, just stamp-o-approval. My advisor and I are going to meet for lunch or drinks or something to chat when she's done reading it. Which is really nice of her and not something all faculty here does. :) But lunch is much less nerve wracking than a defense :)

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

@margosita - thanks! I'll let you know when it hits me :)

Deborah Walker said...

Surely some kind of party is in orcder. Bring on the margaritas.

Elizabeth Twist said...

I concur with Deborah. It's a shame that we can't just hop in a portal and bring you drinks and party favours. Glad your supe is taking you for much-deserved lunch!

kelworthfiles said...

I don't really remember that much how I felt when I got my Bachelor's degree. There was a bit of celebrating, and then the sense of 'Well, now I need to get a real job.' Which I didn't, for a while, but that's another story.

El Johno said...

i felt like "oh crap, didn't get my DMA apps in...better look for a job." the ending the degree didn't hit really since the production jobs kept me insane busy at the beginning of the summer, and then more panic as the job disappeared. lol

And CONGRATS! w00t!!! AWESOMESAUCE!!!!

Eileen Wiedbrauk - New Blog Posts

What I'm Reading Now

Highly Recommended

Tweet Coffee