Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Dexter Obsessed

My new obsession is the TV show Dexter.  I started streaming episodes of it on Netflix this weekend on a recommendation.  I finished seasons one and two over the weekend.  Then realized I was going to have to wait for the disks for season three (Netflix won't stream them).  But I then discovered that Amazon streams TV shows as well as sells you the disks.  And so I just got through three.  I already got four.  Addict.

Dexter: The Second SeasonIt really took me a while to get used to the idea of "sympathetic serial killer," which was why I didn't immediately go watch the show when it was recommended to me.  The constant killing does kind of overload me at times.  But the character is fascinating and the narration voice-over is frequently hilarious.  Season two in particular had me frequently laughing out loud.  It's a very dark humor, obviously.

As a storyteller, I have to say this show does awesome things with characters.  No one is a flat character.  They all have masks and secrets.  Everyone has their own goals, their own reasons to lie, and no one's exempt.  Even the heinous mother-in-law character which most shows would leave as obnoxious and "there for the best interest of her daughter" has another layer in this show.  Her self-sacrificing isn't really self-sacrificing.  Of course she can move across the country to be with her daughter's family because she got fired from her job -- and hasn't told anyone.  And that's just the mother-in-law character.  All the characters are treated with the same sort of care.  That sort of depth in storytelling is what makes stories fascinating.

And it's the kind of thing that keeps me up half the night reading, or in this case, watching.

Highly Recommended