Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grammar Flummoxed

I never particularly thought of myself as "the grammar police" or even as particularly savvy. I adore books like Words Fail Me and Eats, Shoots and Leaves because they always have new things for me to (re)discover in them!

But compared to my students I'm the Martha-frickin-Stewart of words. Don't even get me started about their shifting verb tenses. I'm actually amazed by the sheer ability to shift tenses back and forth that many times and still believe there is a coherent narrative -- does that make me the Grammar Nazi? I don't know. At least I don't have a mustach like the Soup Nazi.

Grammar Nazi's DIY sentence of the day:

It seemed chilly after the jacuzzi.


Two style issues and one grammar/logic error in the above. Can you find everything needed to rewrite the above a stronger, more articulate sentence?

I was going to answer it right here, right now, but I think I'll leave the comments section open and see what people have to say about the sentence before going all English teacher on it.

Highly Recommended