Monday, July 29, 2013

Retro-post: The Forgetful Kimchi Hypothesis

I'm AFB (away from blog) here for a bit, so I'm engaging in some what's-old-is-new-again blogging with retro-posts like this one:

The other week, I gathered up some hope from the rubble, and took to heart a suggestion from a magazine that I "send again" by embarking on the final edits of a short story I'd left unfinished for months. It only took me one evening of work to come to the hypothesis that good stories are kimchi.

Kimchi is a spicy Korean food which, while different from sauerkraut in taste, is not so different in production: at its heart, Kimchi is just fermented cabbage. I know, who doesn't see decaying cabbage and think, now there's a metaphor for fiction writing, right? But I hold to my hypothesis: stories are kimchi. Read more...

Highly Recommended