Friday, May 04, 2012

May the fourth be with you

Today is Star Wars Day I'm told.

There has to be a name for this kind of thing, that is, a situation where the speaker says one word and you hear another word. And I don't mean "mishearing." I mean intentionally choosing a like word that layers meaning. Like in the movie Ten Things I Hate About You when the character hedges her way around admitting that she flashed someone she says, "I dazzled him with my wits."

Is it simply a pun?

I feel like linguists likely have some more technical term.

Anyway, it's May the fourth, and may the force be with you.

Amusing tidbit: I have just enough religious call and response drilled into me that whenever I hear may the force be with you I have to stop myself from automatically spouting off and also with you. I can't be the only person with this problem.

5 comments:

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Did we really need a Star Wars day? I think Lucas is behind this. And in a few years, he'll just want to redo it in 3D.

allison said...

I was wondering why I felt like I was in church with every sci-fi blog post title I saw.

Elizabeth Twist said...

I would be into Star Wars Day if it was specifically original Star Wars Day and not crappy recent Star Wars Day.

Like, "Star Wars Day but not for Episodes 1-3."

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

@Elizabeth Twist -- that's a movement I could get behind.

heavy hedonist said...

You're not the only one-- I responded that way several times-- it wasn't possible NOT to.

Peace, Mari

Eileen Wiedbrauk - New Blog Posts

What I'm Reading Now

Highly Recommended

Tweet Coffee