Thursday, March 22, 2012

Burn out

Over on Parajunkee, a fantasy/urban fantasy book review site, they were talking about burn out during a Q&A post. Specifically about feeling burned out when you're a book blogger.

Then Parajunkee said something which really struck a chord with me, and I think it can be applied to many activities, blogging included.

She writes:
Being a creative person, I tend to be two steps away from being bipolar — high on creative thoughts one minute, in a complete low point the next. When I’m high on it I’m producing like a freight train, writing, drawing, designing…when I’m in a low I find myself watching re-runs of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It’s a common problem and it runs rampant with those of us that operate at accelerated paces. From what I’ve heard from “those knowledgable types” burn-out is your mind telling you to settle down and stop pushing yourself so hard or maybe find a less rigid pace to operate on.
She goes on to recommend ways of dealing with the burn out. But what fascinated me was that I'd never even realized that the Buffy-coma was a symptom of my burn out. (But instead of Buffy-coma, I crawl into wondrously fluffy novels where I don't have to think, and I stay there until I feel better.) I only considered myself burned out when I started swearing and throwing things . . . and I mean that metaphorically. Sorta.

How do you know when you're burned out, and then -- bigger question -- how do you deal with it?

Highly Recommended