Monday, March 26, 2012

April A to Z blogging challenge

This weekend, I signed up for "Blogging from A to Z Challenge" for April -- a week away from the challenge's start and they had almost 1200 participants!

I did this in 2011 and I think there were only 400ish. Though I could be off in that number. But I'm glad the challenge is growing, it's a fun and creative idea that encourages bloggers to keep doing what they already do (blogging) and provides an easy framework to write within:

For every day of April (excepting Sundays), you write one blog post that starts with a letter of the alphabet. April 1 is A. April 2 is B. April 3 is C ... and so on.

I know some people treat it like a blog hop or campaigner challenge, trying to visit and follow every single blog on the list -- and if that's what you want to do, more power to you. But I'm really much more interested in it as a means of making myself write 26 blog posts in a month.

A few months back on Kelda Crich's blog, she got talking about choosing a theme for your A to Z challenge. I realized that a theme (and some pre-planning) might be what I need to make it through the whole month.

I ... erm ... failed last time.

So in 2012 I'll be blogging A to Z about my favorite book series. Mostly science fiction and fantasy, but with some other genres thrown in. I have a plan for every letter already! Every letter except Y, that is.

Anyone got any Y book series ideas? I've gotten creative with other letters, sometimes using the series title, sometimes a book title, the author's name, or a prevalent element or character's name.

13 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I like this idea. I may do it on my blog!

JES said...

I think a good "Y" post, especially for F/SF, would be a phrase like "You never know..." -- in the sense of "Whoa: you never know what they'll come up with next!" Some of them are just so damn inventive, even allowing for the fact that the genre(s) in question, by definition, require spinning realities out of nothing-at-all.

I'm back into reading some SF again, although I swore off back in the '70s I think... Had my mind blown by reading the two Harlan Ellison-edited Dangerous Visions anthologies back to back, followed immediately by Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren. (Of the latter, Wikipedia says that William Gibson described it as "a riddle that was never meant to be solved." So maybe I shouldn't have been so freaked out. :))

Arlee Bird said...

It's good to have you back for another Challenge. Sorry nothing comes to me for "Y"--maybe a title starting with Young or Yellow?

Have fun!


Lee
The Dog Lived (and So Did I)
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Heather Harris said...

Interesting theme, looking forward to seeing what all you've come up with. As for the letter "Y", there's author Nicholas Yermakov (Simon Hawke) and Y: The Last Man, which is a comic, but a good science fiction series nonetheless. Those are the only things I can think of...

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

@JES ... i'm really liking the "you never know" idea. I think I can twist it a little and run with it. Awesome! thanks guys!

beccabooklover said...

Great theme! I love fantasy and some sci-fi so I'm now following you so that I can see your posts throughout the challenge :) My theme is The Lord of the Rings.
As for Y, I can't think...do you like any star wars books? Yoda maybe? or you could do a YOU should read this series... post? Just a few ideas for you!

Elaine L. Bridge said...

The title of your blog totally sucked me in! Good luck and have fun!
Elaine #76 A Heart for Heaven
(I couldn't get the hyperlink to work, lol)

Geoff Maritz said...

Hi.
I agree about having a theme and the reasons for taking part in this particular challenge. It certainly has encouraged me, especially with regards to doing comprehensive research. I'm a science fiction enthusiast and have the following "Y" suggestions by title; The year of the quiet sun by Wilson Tucker, Yesteryear by Alan Foster and of course Ylana of Calisto by Lin Carter.
There is of course also the author Robert Franklin Young.
Following to see what you come up with for the rest, Geoff.

Martha said...

I'm playing along too, already following here from last year. Good luck!!

Iliadfan said...

Great theme! I'm blogging about books, too...and I don't have a Y book, either. :)

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

Goofy Y post.

Paul Hafalla said...

cool ill await for your a-z hope you visit mine too here http://pa-ul.blogspot.com/2012/03/z-artists.html

Doreen McGettigan said...

Stopping by from the A-Z challenge. I enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to your challenge posts!

What I'm Reading Now

Highly Recommended

Tweet Coffee