Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Coffee sadness

Last night, in an attempted cleaning of the coffeemaker carafe, I washed, rinsed, and turned over the glass carafe onto a drying towel laid across the counter.  I rushed.  I was careless.  I smashed that carafe down and shattered it into many pieces.

And there was much sadness across the land.

I did some internet poking around and found that I could buy just another glass carafe.  But my coffee maker is old.  I've had it for three years, but it had been the "old" coffee maker at my father's house for several years before that.  I presume it has been purchased in the past 15 years, but that's just a guess.  No matter it's actual age, Krups thinks it's old: I can't find a replacement carafe.

There are some on Amazon that appear to be potentially the right shape/height to interact with my automatic drip machine, but a new carafe for an old machine will cost twice what a (low end) new machine will cost.

So it looks like I'm in the market for a new (cheap) coffeemaker.  This is not a purchase that can be put off, no matter what the economy looks like.  There are only so many days I can french press my coffee before I get sick of the sludginess.  Perhaps, I should just learn to make good french press coffee.  But that's as much art as science.  And I'm not up for either art or science before my first cup of coffee -- I need a machine for that.
Image credit: scadlo

Highly Recommended