Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Je-what?-ings

Here's something I never thought I'd say: I am now the proud owner of a pair of jeggings.

(Godhelpme)

That's right, jeggings. Jean-leggings. Stretchy denim that's cling-to-your-ass tight and (it gets worse) ends in an elastic waistband. None of the pocket / zipper detail is functional.

Jeggings are meant to be worn under those too-long-to-be-a-shirt but too-short-to-be-anything-but-a-skanky-dress tops. This means that pockets and button flies would make the look bulky and bumpy. So why the designers bothered with the pseudo-pocket and fly detail, I will never know.

Now, I will be the first to admit that the jegging is a questionable fashion trend. Also, I freely (and rationally) admit that I am not stick skinny. But the jegging is comfortable and has a sliming effect.  I also think the jegging can be worked with less controversy than the legging as long as everyone remembers that the first rule of the legging applies to both skin-tight pants styles: cover your hooha -- cover it twice.

When you gad about town in a jegging you gotta roll like this shot of celeb Sienna Miller (no, I've never heard of Sienna Miller but she was the first real person to come up when I did an image search and someone else had heard of her so here she is). [edit: I guess she was some minor character in Stardust.]  Notice how everything we don't really want to see is covered once with pants, and twice with that spiffy long top.  As I mentioned before, it's all about the long top.  Therefore I see the existence of the jegging as something that has grown out of the long top trend, and something that should not evolve and/or mutate into being worn in other ways.

Highly Recommended