Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Are you going to AWP?

This could almost be a Things I've Been Asked Lately blog post as it does seem to be the question du jour.

And my answer is yes. Maybe not. No, definitely no. I'm thinking about it. Yes.

Sheesh I've waffled a lot on this one. Thankfully my early "yes" stage was when I made reservations which I did not cancel through all of my "no" stages.

The AWP conference will be in Denver this April, and I will be there.

I had a great time last year at the conference when it was in Chicago, and this year not only will I be a repeat marathon panel attendee (I'm a lecture junkie) but I will be sitting the booth for Third Coast magazine. O bookfair, how I dread thee.

Last year I had the advantage of having lived just a few blocks from the conference site and therefore knowing quite a bit about the neighborhood and where to find things and how to get around. In Denver I'll have no such advantage; I've never been to the city. True, at a conference you really have no need to stray more than a few blocks from your hotel/conference center but I just adore having insider information -- I can't help it.

However, I'm quite curious about Denver. My family lived out west for a handful of years but I was far too young to remember it well. I do remember being able to see mountains out the kitchen window when we lived in Salt Lake City. Mountains, even then, held a majestic appeal. I'll have to see if I can find any time or any reason to explore Denver while I'm there.

So, are you going to AWP?

Highly Recommended