Friday, May 29, 2009

Trying to piece myself together

The weather has been very summery of late. Abhorrent humidity one day, then pouring rain, then chilly 50s ... it's summer in Michigan and it's only May!

I have been on an equal roller coaster. I feel that I really should just write something and stick with it. No project hopping. But I keep slowing down. I'll figure it out. In the meantime I read this, laughed, and felt not so alone.

Last night I woke up every couple of hours.

At 2:40 a.m. the party moved from inside to outside my apartment. There's chattering, the too loud talking of the drunk, then a fairly sober sounding male voice tells them that they should really move it elsewhere/inside. Some girl starts getting pissed: "All this cause a one guy. We haveta leave cause a one guy." The sober male (a cop maybe?) states, "It was more than one guy, it was a coupla guys."

Then a third voice seems to see reason and tells angry-drunk-girl, "Come on, let's go before he brings the cavalry."

To which she responds, "I don't think he's got enough cavalry. He hasn't got enough cavalry for this." At which point I started wondering if she really knew what the word "cavalry" meant in the original idiom.

They (or someone else) then buzzed my apartment four or five times, at which point they perhaps realized that I was not their friend and I was NOT going to buzz them into the building.

At 4:30 a.m. a domestic-type-dispute woke me up. Some chick had decided to confess to her boyfriend that she'd been sleeping around. Most repeated phrase: "I can't fuckin take this anymore," screamed by him. Mostly she just sobbed. And it really was a child's sob. You know how kids have distinct crying patterns because of how they space out the breathing? Well her sob seemed fairly common to many of the children I've hear wailing but I don't think I've ever heard an adult with a similar pattern. Very annoying.

I'm not certain if this dispute happened on the sidewalk or if I was getting it through the walls of my building. But eventually he stopped screaming "I can't fucking take this!" and started going through a list of names, making her tell him which people she'd slept with.

It was just really bad form all around.

I think they might have made up but by 5 a.m. I was back asleep.

6:30 a.m. the cat threw up and finally I had to get out of bed.

I don't feel bad about my neighbors and their problems. I don't even feel bad about it waking me up. But I feel awful that the kitten got sick. Part of me is certain this is because of something I did or didn't do. Why should she suffer? It's not like she's the one sleeping around.

Highly Recommended