Wednesday, April 08, 2009

More Free Fiction

A short story collection called Federations is coming out from TOR shortly. This collection of news works of science fiction has many of the heavy hitters in the field (e.g. Lois McMaster Bujold, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, L. E. Modesitt, Jr.) and there are four stories currently available for download before the collection comes out in print.

True to previous statements, I never say no to a free book. In workshop last week I carted off several back copies of literary journals I'd never heard of. One of the editors working on our literary journal came to class with "swap copies" or "sharing copies" or whatever they call 'em, that were several years old and cluttering up the lit journal's office. He'd brought as many as he could easily carry in one hand in hopes that someone would at least take one.

Oo! Free books!
I cooed much to his surprise.

Have I read them yet? No. Have I read the free books I got at AWP? A couple.

What can I say? I'm a book-magpie. Even if I don't read them I want them to line my nest on the hope that I will read them. And I will. Hopefully.

Highly Recommended