Monday, August 18, 2008

Headless Horsemen (the food post)

If the ginger bread man and your pumpkin pie had a love child this is what it would look like.

I've decided to name these monstrous cookies Headless Horsemen for their gargantuan size, their scary unladylike look and their half pumpkin nature.

Over the past year I've been experimenting with cookies to see if I couldn't fuse a ginger snap with pumpkin pie filling to get a good cookie. The results were varied. But last night's attempt is pretty damn good - although huge in size. I didn't mean to make them that big (see the picture where it takes up the palm of my hand) but they bake nicely this way. They poof in the oven and then they suck up moisture like mad. The air conditioning has been on the entire time these creatures have been living in my kitchen and still they are noticeably moister now than they were when they came out of the oven.


It's been a summer of good food experiments. After going to Gambier, Ohio and eating at the Village Inn I wanted to try and recreate their Corn Cakes and Black Bean Salsa ... and I did! It not only tasted great but it was sooooo pretty.

Speaking of pretty, I would also like to note that it is tomato season in Michigan. Farmer's Market is filled with them the past couple weeks and they're just so lush looking that they're hard to not smile at.

I also did the world's best stir fry last night! I got the timing down perfectly for how each vegetable should cook -- a first for me -- but I didn't take pictures of that one.

As you might have guessed from all my fabulous cooking successes, the writing's not going so hot.

If you haven't already left my blog to run to your fridge after all this food talk only to discover that you really, really need to go to the grocery store, I'll ask you to put off shopping for just a few more minutes.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by the new website and made the launch party such a great success! If you haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet don't worry, a few things have changed but the site isn't going anywhere. Actually, as soon as I get my feet under me after my move there will be more stuff to see.

Arriving yesterday on the web was the first installment of Carful of Witches (which I continue to read as "careful of witches" because sometimes dyslexia never leaves you). The author, Emily Kajsa Herrstrom, is yet another "internet acquaintance" I've made over the past year.

And because it's getting to be that time of year again -- MFA application time, that is -- I'll be posting the statement of purpose (or one draft of it) that I used in my applications last fall. Look for that post later this week.

Highly Recommended