Thursday, April 24, 2008

All Work and No Play

All work and no play makes a boring Speak Coffee. I've picked up extra hours this week and so my writing has dwindled away, both blogging and fiction writing. The paycheck will be nice -- when it finally arrives -- but that's about all the good I can say for it.

On these longer work days I've spent the free evenings doing what I like to call "market research" also known as, *ahem* reading for pleasure and surfing the internet. But isn't that where all the information is? Most of my surfing has been publishers, lit mag guidelines, and agent's blogs. I think I'm actually being productive,even if my word count doesn't show it.

The coming weekend will be devoted to Marathon Writing. I'll have my entire living space to myself -- fabulous! -- for a long weekend, andI'm looking forward to the lack of interruptions, as well as cooking for myself without having to satisfy others. I like to cook, and I almost always like what I make. Others do not always agree with me. Le sigh.

I have also picked up a copy of Chris Baty's No Plot? No Problem! a discussion of the first NaNoWriMo as well thoughts on the write first,edit later version of novelling. He's got a nice, humorous, easy toread tone. I'm looking forward to his guide and will report back onit later.

Highly Recommended