Monday, July 02, 2012

The thing about summer is that it's hot

Heat and I don't mix. I get heat sick fairly easily. Increased water consumption helps, but I'm still miserable until my body cools back down. And while I love summer, the long days, the (false) sense of freedom, the sunlight and color -- the thing about summer is that it's hot.

Shocking, I know.

Which is why, at 9:30 this morning, I was fixing a roasting chicken for the oven. While I'm not in the habit of fixing an entire chicken for lunch, I knew full well that roasting this bird for the dinner hour would result in heat stroke or a rather alarming strain on the air conditioner.

Why bother roasting a chicken when the temp all week is in the mid-90s?

It was on sale.

Sale! Entire roasting chicken, only $0.89 per pound! It called my name. It called to my budget. It called out, "Hey baby, I'd taste so good if you took me home and cooked me up."

Catcalling poultry aside, I also find myself doing laundry and running the dryer in the AM now. I used to wait until night to do such things, but the heat build up this year is tough. It hangs around and doesn't let me out of its grip until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. It's completely foreign to me to have a load of laundry going before 10:00 AM, but there it is, spinning round and round in the suds.

Right now, as I type, the heat's still manageable. Maybe I'll get in another load before the heat gets oppressive and I shut down appliances in favor of a cool house.


Highly Recommended