Tuesday, November 01, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Good Intentions

I begin this NaNoWriMo with very good intentions. I want to win! I'm crazy busy, but I'm not going to pull one of those well I'll try but if I don't make it, no body should be surprised deals. No, I want to attempt greatness, not hedge my bets!

Because there is no try, only do or do not.

I know some people love the NaNoWriMo website and its forums; I find them like the aisles of Sam's Club -- large, packed, and overwhelming. So I won't be there this month. "Busy" means drawing the line somewhere. Problem is, forums serve two purposes: chatting, talking, nerosing, bragging, freaking out and asking questions of complete strangers and establising a group that shares their word counts.

Having someone (or many someones) who are waiting for my word count to be announced and cheer me on when it's good and kick me in the pants when it's bad is a very useful tool. To that end, I will be posting semi-regular NaNoWriMo updates.  These will be their own posts, separate from the posts with more content; these posts will also feature the above icon. They'll just be my word count and perhaps a few lines on how the writing's been going or what my mood is now. I will not be posting parts of my novel as I write it because eek gad! posting my shitty first draft online?! on the internet?! when everyone knows that the internet is forever?! no no no. I will not. Not in a box, not with a fox.

But I will gladly update the world on my word count progress.

If you'll be embarking on this venture (particularly if you're embarking on writing a novel now because you know that life will never get less busy) and you'll be posting similar updates on your blog, leave me a comment with your blog address and I'll add you to the blog roll on the right hand side titled CRAZY NANOWRIMO-ERS WITH BLOG UPDATES.

Highly Recommended