Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pepper Confidential

There's always plenty to choose from in August at the farmer's market in Michigan. I walked off with peppers, summer squash, a pound of green beans, celery, tomatoes, more tomatoes, peaches, and blueberries -- I was completely weighed down by the time I left and I think I spent only $17 or $18 on the lot of it.

The table I grabbed the summer squash from was running a pick-3 deal and so I grabbed some adorable tomatoes that looked like baby watermelons and then looked around for something else to get.  My options were, unfortunately, limited.

They had green beans, but I already had a pound of them in my bag. They had okra, which I won't eat unless it's breaded and fried. They had more tomatoes, but I'd already made a collection of red, green, orange and yellow tomatoes and, geez, there's only so many tomatoes a girl can take on even when she likes tomatoes.

So I grabbed a tub of peppers. Peppers are always useful, I thought.

Except I have no idea what kind of peppers I actually grabbed.

At the time, I only saw their tops and stems. And in the past I've purchased these translucent-ish somewhat green almost purple bell peppers at farmer's market. I thought I was getting those. When I got home and pulled them out of the bag and saw their entire shape ... I don't think I got bell peppers.

But what the hell are these things? No two of them are shaped alike. And I'm a little bit nervous to expose their secret peppery identities by just chomping down on one.


Edited to add: I poked around on the internet and found a visual guide to peppers which has led me to believe that these are in fact banana peppers. Great. Now I have to figure out what to do with like seven of them.

Highly Recommended