Thursday, April 28, 2011

A celebration and a wedding

The celebration has nothing to do with William and Kate -- it has to do with the return of a working laptop! yay! My computer troubles have ceased as a new (used, but refurbished) machine arrived and the old hard drive was popped into it. Wondrous. All the files I worried about have been recovered -- and scrupulously backed up.

I've also decided that I'm going to get up before 6AM tomorrow to watch the royal wedding. Hey, why not? It's finals week here, I'm done with finals -- I'm done with coursework for my master's in general -- I can get up early and lounge in my pajamas if I want.

And I want to. I really, really want to.

I'm not one of those chicks who has to get married now. I'm in absolutely no rush on the wedding front -- but I do love weddings. Actually, I think I like the theatrical aspect of weddings (and big parties in general) better than the social aspect. This is why I spent as much time in theater as I did: I love putting on a show, making a world for the audience to experience; taking a dream and making it real.

And then there's wedding TV which I love because it's pretty. I find Say yes to the dress and Whose wedding is it anyway? to be giant time sucks, especially now that I can stream them instantly on Netflix.

So of course I'll be watching the royal wedding, because, duh, it's a royal wedding -- and that means better than normal.

To put it into perspective, theLiz recently highlighted the contrast between us and them by sharing that
Kate Middleton is marrying a Prince on Friday, and I have to reach into my toilet to flush it. That's all I'm gonna say.
I've found that while there are cable and network TV stations carrying the wedding, it's also streaming live on YouTube on the royal wedding channel. And I'm kind of tempted to watch that instead of putting up with a potentially annoying commentator talking over the video.

Highly Recommended