Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Forecasts and premonitions

I keep checking outside ... snow yet? ... how about now? ... what about now? has it started now?

The grocery store Monday afternoon was a zoo. And all I wanted to do was buy a frozen pizza and a two-liter of diet Dr. Pepper. Meanwhile the rest of the world is stocking up on jugs of water and milk, boxes of dry cereal, and one woman was buying four dozen eggs. I understand the water and milk, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the four dozen eggs were not related to the impending 12" of snow looming in the clouds above just waiting to sneak up on us.

And if the eggs did have to do with the blizzard then I really don't want to know.

But something about this storm definitely feels sneaky. Maybe it's because I've known about it for so long, of which I've witnessed nothing particularly malicious in the weather. It's ... calm. The days are overcast, but there's no precipitation. The only change is that it gets colder each day until it was chill enough to make me take notice -- and I don't easily take notice of the cold in late January. All this calm has produced an impending sense of dread. I'm waiting for the Big Bad to come out and show itself.

Highly Recommended