Sunday, February 13, 2011

Facebook is limiting your awesome awesomeness

Hopefully you've seen a nice little public service announcement like this one pop up in one of your fb friend's status messages:
Have you noticed that you are only seeing updates or getting comments from the same people lately? That's because Facebook made a change. You only see posts from people you interact with regularly. To change this, Scroll down to the bottom of the newsfeed on the homepage and click on 'Edit Options', click on 'Show Posts From' and change..the setting to 'All Of Your Friends and Pages' *REPOST AND LET EVERYONE KNOW*
And here I was thinking that the majority of my facebook friends had gone and gotten lives outside of facebook. Nope. They hadn't.

I'm not a fan of facebook trying to limit my awesomeness and the awesomeness of the few hundred people are supposedly my "friends" on that website.  Yes, I've probably interacted even more with the few dozen people I "regularly interact with" since the change was instituted, but is the purpose of facebook to limit me to my regular people?  Hell no. If I only wanted my regular people I wouldn't have bothered with a facebook page in the first place.

How am I suppose to know that people I haven't talked to in five year have gotten married if their profile pictures don't change to white gowns in my news feed?  And hello! facebook admins, what is your purpose if not to make the stalking of acquaintances possible with minimal effort on my part?  I'd never be so proactive as to drive by someone's house trying to tell what they're doing/if they're there -- far too little data to collect for far too much effort -- but I am totally down with reading the occasional status message.

Actually, I'm beginning to think it's more voyeurism than stalking: I want to see how you're performing on facebook.  Are you being funny? Sad? Political? Newsy? Stupid? Whiny? Are you showing off your offspring for the world?  It's all a performance and I want to watch.  So come on facebook.  Bring back the voyerism!

Highly Recommended