Friday, August 13, 2010

Grab-bag: Friday Links

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's NestAmazon.com presents their list of the best books of the first half of 2010. Funny, I haven't read any of them, and haven't heard of most of them. Honestly, the only one I've heard of is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and all I really know about it is that it's in every damn bookstore I go into and that the author has been dead some four or five years.  Everybody loves ya when you're dead, I guess.

The New York Times real estate section shows you what you can get for $350,000 in three very different cities. Be sure to check out the photo slide show.

From the blog that brought you "Alot is better than you," we get "things that don't turn out like I'd envisioned."  Both are complete with illustrations.  Very cute.

A new promo video for "The Guild" is out.  Every time I see one of their promos, I wonder why it is that I don't watch their webisodes.  Then again, it might be that, as a non-gamer, I just don't get all the jokes.  Still the promo video is fab.



Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares, Book 4)And, if you're like me, you watched that video and tried to get a good look at the cover of the book she's reading.  I wasn't able to identify it, but the good news was that Kristin Nelson of Pubrants satisfied my curiosity for me: it's Bewitched and Betrayed by Lisa Shearin.

I recently came upon this post from Uncanny Valley (via), which lays out the blogger's pedagogy for his first time teaching intro to creative writing at the college level. He promises to keep blogging about his expectations and realities as the semester progresses, and I certainly look forward to those posts.

And lastly, today is International Left-hander's Day, started in 1976 to remind the world that "Lefties have rights."

Highly Recommended