Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Am I a morning person?

I honestly can't figure it out.  Am I a morning person or am I not?

For the six weeks at Odyssey I had to be out the door by 8:00 am at the latest to take care of my work responsibilities.  So I set my alarm for 7:00 am and happily went about my mornings for a week or so.  By the next week, I'd decided that things would be better if I got up at 6:00 am and did some work in that extra hour.

It was great.  I was doing fine.  And if I could have regularly slept 6-8 hours a night, I think I would have loved that schedule.

Yesterday, I couldn't drag my ass out of bed until 10:00 am, and even then it was more the cats' idea than my own.  They had hoped for a 9:00 am feeding and, graciously, gave me the extra hour, though they did not give over without snuffling, batting and attempted cleaning of my person.

So here I am again, wondering if I'm a morning person, and if I can make myself become one. 

I honestly love mornings.  And on days when I'm up early--seemingly before the rest of the world is up and about--I feel like anything is possible.  I could accomplish anything and accomplish it on schedule.

On the other hand, I hate waking up and getting out of bed.  This is not related specifically to mornings. I hate waking up from afternoon naps.  I hate getting out of bed at noon. 

It just so happens that at 6:00 a.m. I am, usually, in bed and asleep, thus inciting my hatred of waking and getting up before I can meet all that wonder and promise of the early day.

I know I'm not coherent between my pillow and my shower followed by a mug of coffee, but that (in my opinion) has little to do with whether or not I am a morning person.
And so I can't figure it out.  Am I a morning person?  Am I not? 

Anyone know a way to convince myself that getting out of bed is the best thing for me even though I love my bed and, other than a job, don't see the reason for getting out of it?

Highly Recommended