Friday, May 14, 2010

Grab-bag: Friday Literary Links

The Power of the Blog -- now the question is whether the power will be used for good, or for evil.

Author Jody Hedlund has compiled a list of top writing books based on public opinion. Some of which I've reviewed on this blog (and others which I haven't).  My review listings have been added to the Best of the Blog page under "Books on Writing, Reviewed."  I'm a little surprised that John Gardner's Art of Fiction didn't show up on Hedlund's poll if only because the old guard loved that book.  Then again I think it's the kind of book that you should read someday because Gardner comes across as a prick.  You gotta have a thick skin and a good sense of self (and a hefty dose of doubt for authority) to get something productive and not destructive out of that book.

Highly Recommended