Thursday, February 25, 2010

Things I Love (story edition)

Recently I've done a lot of harping about things I don't love about fiction and particularly short fiction. So I wanted to point out a short story that I am absolutely in love with.

I recently got my hands on a copy of Interfictions 2 published by Small Beer Press. The stories in this anthology sort of defy genre categorization. The editors call them "interstitial fiction" although I really haven't quite grasped what they mean by that.

I hadn't gotten far into the collection when I read Will Ludwigsen's "Remembrance Is Something Like a House" and was swept away. I was actually tearing up -- possibly even crying -- by the end of this story and not because Ludwigsen kills puppies but because I found it moving. I cry at movies, I cry at novels -- occasionally I even cry at 30 second TV commercials -- but this was the first time that I have ever, ever cried at a short story. Bravo.

The story is about a house that "walks" from Ohio to Florida to confront the last family who lived within its walls. The story is narrated from the house's point of view, yet I'd like to make very clear that this is not a talking house.

Amazingly, when I went to look up Ludwigsen to see if there was a webpage to link to, I discovered that the entire story is available as a PDF. Joy!

Highly Recommended