Monday, July 06, 2009

Charming and Wonderful

Just discovered this over the weekend. Featherproof Books has these adorable little DIY books containing short stories.

The mini-books are free to download and come with their own printing and folding instructions. They print on regular paper and fold down to a quarter of a sheet.

I'm yet to read any of them (the campus computer lab with all of its printers opens up again on Monday) but their newest mini-book author is Joe Meno, author of Hairstyles of the Damned -- something else which I want to read but haven't had the chance to. I leafed through it and came to the chapter about ManicPanic hair dye. That's when I knew I would have to get my hands on a "long term" copy, that is one I can hold long enough to read cover to cover.

Featherproof describes themselves as "a young indie publisher based in Chicago, dedicated to the small-press ideals of finding fresh, urban voices." And the books they publish as " filled with the liveliest of fiction wrapped in the loveliest of designs."

They also have full length -- and preprinted! -- books for sale.

Me? I'm incredibly excited to get my hands on these little stories and fold myself a book or two.

Highly Recommended