Monday, March 23, 2009

Post-Reading Report

The reading went well. I can't be more enthusiastic than that but none of my fears came to pass. I did not read to the barista. In fact, we filled the front room of the coffee shop. But I have given other readings that felt much better and that stirred better responses (with the same material) so I can't jump up and down saying how great it was. It's good for me that I didn't perform like a superstar -- I needed to be humbled. I needed to have it proved to me that I should have prepared more like I did for my three prior readings.

It's also good of me to read before an unsympathetic audience. Yes, these people wanted to come to a fiction/poetry reading (some for extra credit) but few of them felt the pains of having to get up there after me and perform. It's in that terror of public performance that we build bonds and become better audiences.

Maybe I'm being too morose. After all, I didn't stutter or stumble, trip over my shoes or lose my place. I even did an okay job looking up and making eye contact. But I know I could have done better.

Highly Recommended