Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Drive and the Acciendtal Byproduct

Oof. I'm writing this Monday night and it feels like it's been a long day. I don't really think it's been all that long but it seems long. Maybe my body just hates me.

Anyway.

After Monday's post, Tanya left a comment that she didn't think she had the drive for a NaNo marathon, that she barely had the drive to write for class.

And I wholeheartedly feel her on that.

However there is a very happy byproduct of writing a whole novel in a short amount of time: like begets like, and writing begets writing.

This weekend I wrote 4,500 words on a single novel, but I also wrote out four pages long hand of a different novel idea and today in workshop got a goofy look from the instructor because I started jotting down notes during discussion of someone else's work (oddly enough we don't do that in our current workshop and it's the first time I've seen this phenomena) because I had an idea for the opening of a short story.

When I did a novel marathon in January, I stumbled upon two short stories. Quite literally tripped over them. I was trying to go to bed and these stories kept me up for three hours each writing and rewriting themselves in my head. I knew that if I got up and wrote it down that my sleep deprived fingers would make a mess of it so I just kept running and refining lines in my head and then next morning got down as much as I could.

I think they're quite interesting stories, however I haven't shared them with anyone because both of them contain the most controversial content I've ever dealt with so I need a whole story before I start showing it around to people who might otherwise be offended, or think I'm an idiot.

But my point is that it is somehow tied into the notion that if you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. ... Or maybe I really need to stick to the like begets like thought ...

Argh.

Brain = too scrambled to do more than this.

Highly Recommended