Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In the writing world, it's been a long week for me

The Kenyon Review just awarded three people that were not me their"Short Fiction Contest for writers under thirty" award. Bummer! Iwas really rooting for an honorable mention. Alas.

I know I'm usually the person who is all sorts of 'chin up' 'tryagain' and 'its not the one rejection that matters, it's the oneacceptance' ... so why am I feeling so dejected?

Hypothosis: it's the time of day. This is about the time of day whereI'm minutes away from getting off of work and the past couple dayssomething has managed to deflate my spirit and make my entire moodcrumple right about now. Which makes for a lousy evening. Althoughmaybe yesterday I was just tired (I feel asleep at 8:30pm -- I know;I'm turning into a grannie).

I need something. I need something special alright.

You need something to open up a new door
To show you something you seen before
But overlooked a hundred times or more
You need something to open your eyes
You need something to make it known
That it's you and no one else that owns
That spot that yer standing, that space that you're sitting
That the world ain't got you beat
That it ain't got you licked
It can't get you crazy no matter how many
Times you might get kicked
You need something special all right
You need something special to give you hope
But hope's just a word
That maybe you said or maybe you heard
On some windy corner 'round a wide-angled curve

But that's what you need man, and you need it bad
And yer trouble is you know it too good


From Bob Dylan's "Last Thoughts on Woodie Guthrie"

Highly Recommended