Friday, April 11, 2008

Blindsided

I really didn't think I could have anything more about the situation with the father's gf to complain about, but apparently I do.

He told me Thursday night -- four nights after coming back from visiting his family and the road trip less envied -- that we needed to talk about it.

What was his delay for? I have no idea. He certainly seemed fine with it on Tuesday when we went out to sushi.

But what do I get zinged with last night? That I haven't liked anyone he's dated and that I'm behaving like a spoiled only child whose world is being messed with causing her petulant behavior and that my father is upset with my slighting these women in their presence.

Which is a crock of shit.

I refuse to pay now for my uneasiness with him dating when I was a teenager. I was a teenager. I was completely absorbed in myself and my world and he was rocking the boat. At that point we basically came to the understanding that I didn't want to hear about it.

But he's been dating since I went away to college and now after I've finished undergrad. BFD. I've always been nice to these women and if I ever lacked social graces toward them it wasn't because of their role as the gf, it was because I lacked social graces.

But more than anything I'm angry that I've been slighted and categorized into some psycho-babble self-help parenting book bullshit explanation. I deserve better than that. I can't believe this shit. I can't believe that he would assume my dislike for a person springs from selfishness. I thought perhaps he could trust me that when I disliked a person I have a reason. In this case, reasons.

Instead my father tells me "well this is what it looks like to me."

I do not dislike this woman because of the role she plays in my life, I dislike her because she's friggin neurotic.

I do not dislike IRS agents because they are in charge of collecting my taxes.

When I met her, I was nice. When I went out to dinner with her, I thought she was nice. She seemed nice when she was my father's girlfriend. But now that she's neurotic lady I'm not so much a fan.

I could care less about whether this woman stays or goes, after all I'm going. New grad school, new city. I've got less than four months at my current address. She doesn't affect my life. But after this little ray of sunshine was dropped on me I don't want anything to do with her. And I certainly don't want her to think I'm going to bond with her over shoe shopping and be the proxy daughter for the one living in North Carolina. Now I'm pissed.

Highly Recommended